We at Kids Army want to ensure that customers are informed about any laws that affect what can be purchased on our website. Recently enacted legislature has prompted us to change our sales policies. As of January 1st, many of our toy guns can no longer be shipped to California and New York. For a list of products that are still legal to ship under the new laws, click HERE.
The new laws essentially prevent us from shipping “imitation firearms” to California and New York. (See graphic below)
If you would like to read what the new laws actually say then follow this link:
The part that affects Kids-Army.com sales and therefore all companies that sell toy guns, replica guns and Airsoft guns are as follows:
(a) As used in this part, “imitation firearm” means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.
(b) As used in Section 20165, “imitation firearm” does not include any of the following:
(1) A nonfiring collector’s replica that is historically significant, and is offered for sale in conjunction with a wall plaque or presentation case.
(2) A spot marker gun which expels a projectile that is greater than 10mm caliber.
(3) A BB device that expels a projectile, such as a BB or pellet, that is other than 6mm or 8mm caliber.
(4) A BB device that is an airsoft gun that expels a projectile, such as a BB or pellet, that is 6mm or 8mm caliber which meets the following:
- If the airsoft gun is configured as a handgun, in addition to the blaze orange ring on the barrel required by federal law, the airsoft gun has a trigger guard that has fluorescent coloration over the entire guard, and there is a two centimeter wide adhesive band around the circumference of the protruding pistol grip that has fluorescent coloration.
- If the airsoft gun is configured as a rifle or long gun, in addition to the blaze orange ring on the barrel required by federal law, the airsoft gun has a trigger guard that has fluorescent coloration over the entire guard, and there is a two centimeter wide adhesive band with fluorescent coloring around the circumference of any two of the following:
- The protruding pistol grip.
- The buttstock.
- A protruding ammunition magazine or clip.
(5) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device’s complete contents.
(c) The adhesive bands described in paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall be applied in a manner not intended for removal, and shall be in place on the airsoft gun prior to sale to a customer.
(d) This section shall be operative on January 1, 2016
- end of legal quote -
As you can see, you will no longer be able to purchase a Toy Gun or Airsoft Gun in California after January 2016 that does not have the new coloring. We have already stopped shipping these items to CA and NY.
In light of these new laws, Kids Army is updating its sales policy:
NEW "Imitation Firearms" POLICY: If a customer is shipping to New York (or California, starting January 1st of 2016) and has included a restricted toy gun in the order, they will be automatically prevented from finalizing the order. To resolve this conflict, customers have the following options: